Past time to ban open burning
Cowichan had an air quality advisory on the lovely Sunday we just had — a gorgeous day that had many outside enjoying unseasonably warm weather.
Unfortunately a couple of years ago our open burning season was extended — so no one got to enjoy the outdoors. When the ministry sends out an air quality advisory, you know it’s bad, and we’re all condemned to indoors — on one of the last lovely days of the year.
Why are we still endorsing this archaic practice in a populated area? Many are also uninformed about the carcinogenic and extremely toxic effects of burning plastic, thereby unwittingly doing serious damage to themselves, their children in particular, their neighbours, pets and wildlife. It’s long past time we put a stop to open burning — we need to use the far more healthy options.