Death by a thousand pinpricks

Cowichan Lake is a beautiful body of water... For now, anyway.

Cowichan Lake is a beautiful body of water… For now, anyway.

The Cowichan Valley Regional District (CVRD) is in the midst of dealing with a number of applications to have riparian zone regulations ignored, at Cowichan Lake.

In many of these cases, the land should have never been sold to private land owners. Now, due to bleeding hearts (applicants tend to be nice people), it’s expected that enough CVRD board members give in, and allow riparian zone regulations to be ignored. After all, one infringement isn’t a big deal. But, they add up.

Kudos to Youbou/Meade Creek area director Klaus Kuhn for consistently voting against allowing the relaxation of riparian regulations, regardless of the situation.

Another thought: With the almost imminent failure of septic tanks, why is the CVRD continuing to allow them? Has no one heard of organic (also known as compost) toilets? Of waste, 90 per cent is liquid that can be evaporated, while the remaining 10 per cent can be turned into garden compost, if done correctly. And it can be virtually smell-free. Educate yourself. Anyone can do it.

Just Posted

Cowichan men face ordered to pay thousands in fines following deer meat sting

The incidents happened years ago but sentencing was recently concluded.

Accused pleads not guilty as Trial opens in 2016 Chemainus murder

Colin John quietly entered not guilty pleas to both charges.

RCMP’s North Cowichan/Duncan detachment officers overwhelmed with accolades

“There is really some amazing work being done here in the Cowichan Valley”

Trial opens for accused in 2016 Chemainus murder

“I was soaked in blood from the neck down”: witness

VIDEO: Two officers of B.C. Legislature escorted out amid investigation

Clerk of the House Craig James, Sergeant-at-arms Gary Lenz on administrative leave

Coming up in Cowichan: Child sex tafficking talk; Voices from the Watershed

Duncan church hosting speaker on child sex trafficking in B.C. On Wednesday,… Continue reading

Pot users, investors need to be vigilant at Canada-U.S. border

U.S. authorities say anyone who admits to having used pot before it became legal could be barred

Awards will recognize business excellence on Vancouver Island

Nomination period begins for Vancouver Island Business Excellence Awards

Late 2019 too long to wait for ridesharing: B.C. Conservatives

“While the rest of the world is embracing this transportation revolution, B.C. is only now staggering slowly toward legislation on a business model that’s been mainstreamed for over a decade in other jurisdictions.”

Police aim to prevent retaliation after Hells Angel found dead under B.C. bridge

IHIT confirms Chad Wilson, 43, was the victim of a ‘targeted’ homicide

ICBC warns shoppers of the high-accident season at mall parking lots

Over 150,000 accidents happened during the holiday season last year

No deal in sight: Canada Post warns of delivery delays into January

Union holds fifth week of rotating strikes as both sides remain apart on contract negotiations

COLUMN: Higher interest rates will slow B.C. economy after ‘unusually robust’ show

Jock Finlayson is executive vice president and chief policy officer of the Business Council of BC

Most Read