Woodgrove Centre, Nanaimo’s largest shopping centre. (News Bulletin file photo)

Woodgrove Centre, Nanaimo’s largest shopping centre. (News Bulletin file photo)

UPDATE: No COVID-19 at Nanaimo shopping centre as memo mixed up mall identities

Woodgrove Centre sent memo to tenants Tuesday advising them of positive case

It turns out that a memo sent out Tuesday was mistaken and there was in fact no COVID-19 case linked to Woodgrove Centre.

A statement from the mall Wednesday afternoon noted that “we have just been informed that the person who tested positive for COVID-19 was not working at Woodgrove Centre.”

An e-mail from Ivanhoé Cambridge’s public affairs department says “it appears that the mall identity was mistaken with Willowbrook Mall.”

Both Woodgrove Centre and Ivanhoé Cambridge had said earlier Wednesday that a worker at the mall had tested positive for COVID-19.

“We were notified yesterday, so we sent out a memo to our tenants and service providers and we are sending out an updated letter to let everyone know that the case actually isn’t at Woodgrove, we had been misinformed…” said Heather Fisk, Woodgrove marketing manager.

The updated statement from the mall reiterated that the shopping centre continues to disinfect common areas and stresses that the safety and health of employees, tenants, customers and visitors is of the utmost importance.

Fisk said there was a lot of concern following word of the positive test and said she was happy to hear that it was a “false alarm” for Woodgrove.

“But I think it is also a good reminder for everyone that it is still important to stay diligent with our proper health and safety protocols, managing physical distancing, not touching our face, wearing our masks and washing or sanitizing our hands,” she said.

READ ALSO: Nanaimo’s Woodgrove Centre getting ready for return of retailers and shoppers



editor@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter