The provincial Office of the Ombudsperson is investigating a complaint regarding the lack of transparency in the public consultation process over the future of the municipal forest reserve. The demand for more public input into the future of the reserve has led to protests at the municipal hall in the past. (Citizen file)

The provincial Office of the Ombudsperson is investigating a complaint regarding the lack of transparency in the public consultation process over the future of the municipal forest reserve. The demand for more public input into the future of the reserve has led to protests at the municipal hall in the past. (Citizen file)

Ombudsperson investigating North Cowichan’s consultation process on forest reserve

Complaint claims process too secretive

A complaint alleging there is too much secrecy in North Cowichan’s public consultation process into the future of its municipal forest reserve has led to an investigation by the provincial Office of the Ombudsperson.

The complaint was made by sixmountains.ca, a website dedicated to providing information about logging in North Cowichan’s 5,000-hectare municipal forest reserve. The site is run by Larry Pynn, a veteran environmental journalist and author who lives in Maple Bay.

Pynn said sixmountains.ca sought the investigation after the municipality and its consultant, Lees & Associates, refused to open up meetings of the citizens’ working group that is guiding public consultations on the future of the forest reserve.

RELATED STORY: PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT ON NORTH COWICHAN FOREST RESERVE BEGINS

He said members of the working group voted 58 per cent on July 6 to open up their meetings, but that was not deemed good enough.

Pynn said Lees & Associates and the municipality decided that almost 100 per cent unanimity would be required to “lift the veil of secrecy” at the meetings.

“The complaint by sixmountains.ca asserts that meetings of council are open to the public, as are meetings of the forestry advisory committee and the official community plan advisory committee, and that the citizens’ working group should be similarly open,” he said.

In an email to Pynn, Kate Morrison from the Office of the Ombudsperson, which is described as B.C.’s independent voice for fairness, said she has decided to investigate his complaint.

“Our investigation will focus on whether the Municipality of North Cowichan has followed an administratively fair process in establishing the working group, including procedures for open meetings of the working group,” Morrison said.

“The next step in our investigation is to seek the municipality’s response to this issue.”

North Cowichan Mayor Al Siebring said the Community Charter specifies what the municipality can and can’t do behind closed doors, and North Cowichan works hard to live up to the charter’s protocols.

RELATED STORY: GROUP CALLS FOR SUSPENSION OF PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS ON NORTH COWICHAN MUNICIPAL FOREST RESERVE

“The Office of the Ombudsperson is free to look at it, but I’m confident they won’t find any breaches [of the Community Charter],” he said.

“We’ll wait for the Ombudsperson’s ruling before we’ll comment further.”

Many in the community had been demanding for some time to have more say in management plans for the municipal forest reserve, which is publicly owned land.

So in February, 2019, North Cowichan council endorsed just the completion of existing 2018 forestry contracts in the forest reserve until experts were tapped for their input and the public has been thoroughly consulted on what people want for the future of the forest reserve.

But in July, Icel Dobell, a member of the Where Do We Stand organization that is part of the working group, said the group appears to be just a “rubber stamp”, and the “deep, broad, transparent, inclusive, accountable, unbiased process we had expected has not transpired”.

RELATED STORY: “DEEP AND BROAD’ PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT WANTED ON MUNICIPAL FORESTS

She said there had been several times the working group has been given instructions not to put out materials to the public, and the group’s meetings are closed and the consulting firm and the municipality have refused to record them for the public.

“[Where Do We Stand] joined the working group in good faith to contribute to a transparent engagement process, but it is being kept secret,” Dobell said at the time.



robert.barron@cowichanvalleycitizen.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

municipal politics

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

North Cowichan councillor Kate Marsh. (File photo)
North Cowichan postpones decision on cell tower placement

But cell tower policy may be developed soon

B.C. provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry speaks at a press conference Monday, April 18. (B.C. Government image)
New COVID-19 cases tick down on the central Island

New cases held to single digits three days in a row

CVRD offices on Ingram Street will remain closed for another 14 weeks after flooding last month. (File photo)
CVRD headquarters closed for another three and a half months

Building significantly damaged during water leak

Victoria police are asking for help locating high-risk missing man Derek Whittaker, last seen in Victoria April 12. (Courtesy of VicPD)
MISSING: Police searching for Derek Whittaker, last seen in Victoria

Whittaker believed to be driving 1994 red Volkswagen Golf

The IIO is investigating after a police dog bit a man during a traffic stop near Ladysmith on April 17, 2021. (Black Press Media stock photo)
IIO investigating after police dog bites man near Ladysmith

RCMP dog bit man during traffic stop on Friday, April 17

FILE – NDP Leader John Horgan, right, and local candidate Mike Farnworth greet one another with an elbow bump during a campaign stop in Coquitlam, B.C., on Friday, September 25, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. won’t be using random individual road stops to enforce travel rules: Safety Minister

Minister Mike Farnworth says travel checks only being considered at major highway junctions, ferry ports

FILE – Health-care workers wave to people clapping and yelling thank you to the frontline workers during the 7 p.m.-tribute outside the Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver, B.C. Wednesday, April 8, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C. nurses issue plea for all to follow health orders as hospitalizations spike

Nurses worried about strain COVID-19 is having on hospital capacity, care

University of Victoria rowing coach Barney Williams is photographed in the stands during the Greater Victoria Invitational at CARSA Performance Gym at the University of Victoria in Victoria, B.C., on Friday, November 29, 2019. The University of Victoria says Williams has resigned effective immediately. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito)
University of Victoria women’s rowing coach resigns by mutual agreement

Lawsuit filed last summer accused Barney Williams of verbal abuse

Former B.C. premier Christy Clark. (Black Press Media files)
Former B.C. premier to testify at money laundering hearing today

Attorney General David Eby has been added to the witness list as well

Selina Robinson is shown in Coquitlam, B.C., on Friday November 17, 2017. British Columbia’s finance minister says her professional training as a family therapist helped her develop the New Democrat government’s first budget during the COVID-19 pandemic, which she will table Tuesday. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
B.C. to table budget that’s expected to deal with COVID-19 pandemic and beyond

Robinson released a fiscal update last December that said the impact of the pandemic on B.C.’s economy was uncertain

Paramedic Matthew Schlatter of Victoria is living a fuller life today due to the double lung transplant he received in 2019. He encourages B.C. residents to register as an organ donor and let their families know their wishes. (Instagram/Matthew Schlatter)
B.C. man living a full, active life after double-lung transplant

Matt Schlatter encourages people to register as an organ donor to help others live

(Photo by Mojpe/Pixabay)
Canadian kids extracting record amounts from Tooth Fairy

Our neighbours in the U.S. receive slightly less from Tooth Fairy visits

Families of two of three workers killed in a train derailment near Field, B.C., in 2019 have filed lawsuits accusing Canadian Pacific of gross negligence. The derailment sent 99 grain cars and two locomotives off the tracks. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Families of workers killed in Field train derailment allege negligence in lawsuit

Lawsuits allege the workers weren’t provided a safe work environment

Most Read