municipal politics

Sites are being considered for a new pipe that will see treated effluent from the Joint Utilities Board’s sewage treatment plant near Duncan diverted away from the Cowichan River and Cowichan estuary (pictured) to an outflow site in Satellite Channel. (File photo)

Possible routes identified for new Cowichan sewage pipe

Public input will be sought in decision

 

The City of Duncan is applying to the province for a grant that would cover most of the costs of the new Cairnsmore roundabout that is planned the intersection of Government, College and Cairnsmore streets. (File photo)

City of Duncan looking to grant to cover cost of Cairnsmore traffic circle

Federal government would cover 60%, province would pick up the other 40%.

 

North Cowichan Mayor Al Siebring says the City Langford has lessons to share on how to deal with social issues. (File photo)

Langford could teach North Cowichan ways to deal with social issues: Siebring

Island city has only eight homeless people, according to last count

North Cowichan Mayor Al Siebring says the City Langford has lessons to share on how to deal with social issues. (File photo)
Lake Cowichan mayoral candidates, from left, include Bob Day, Corrie Helliwell, Ross Forrest and Mike Hallatt. (Robert Barron/Citizen)
Lake Cowichan mayoral candidates, from left, include Bob Day, Corrie Helliwell, Ross Forrest and Mike Hallatt. (Robert Barron/Citizen)

Fence to be placed on Whistler Street in Duncan to deter transients

Six-foot fence meant to deter unwanted behaviour

Ross Forrest eyes the mayor’s chair in Lake Cowichan again

Forrest served 10 years as mayor before losing the last election

Decision on judicial review of Cowichan Motorsport decision could take months

VIMC said it was assured by North Cowichan that expansion would be allowed

City of Duncan denies four grant requests under COVID-19 program

To date, just three of nine requests accepted

North Cowichan holding survey on update to its Official Community Plan

Survey asks citizens to help “shape a vision” for community

  • Aug 24, 2020

Rod Peters resigns as mayor of Lake Cowichan

Byelection expected in the fall

Petition for judicial review of Duncan Mayor Michelle Staples dismissed

Petitioners claim excessive bureacracy led to too many delays in process

Staples seeks to have petition seeking her ouster dismissed by the courts

Petition alleges Staples involved in numerous conflicts of interest

Construction of new RCMP detachment to begin in early 2021

North Cowichan’s council unimously votes to borrow $48 million for project

Not enough opposition to halt new Cowichan RCMP detachment borrowing

Municipality received 1,364 response forms by deadline on July 14