Tom passed away at Cairnsmore Place, Duncan in his 98th year.
Tom was predeceased by his wife of 70 years, Florence, who passed away in 2009. He leaves behind his daughter Wendy, son Don (Mary), grandchildren Merilee (Dave), Christine (Glen), Jennifer and Stephen (Katy), and great-grandchildren Tony, Bailey, Seth, Mason, Mackenzie ,and Leah. He is also predeceased by his sisters Louvain and Audrey, and brothers Jim and Bob.
Born in Seattle, Tom grew up in Nanaimo. He began working at the age of 14 at Canadian Collieries (Dunsmuir) coal mine, and he and Florence married in 1939. The mine then shut down and they moved to Youbou and then Lake Cowichan in 1942. In 1946 they built a house on North Shore Road at the Lake. Tom had obtained a steam engineers ticket at the mine and worked briefly at Camp 10 VLM, Youbou Sawmill, Lake Logging at Honeymoon Bay, and in 1943 started at Hillcrest Lumber Co. at Mesachie Lake where he stayed until its closure in 1968. He worked the next 10 years at WFI, Honeymoon Bay and then retired.
Tom was active in the community and in 2004 was honoured to become a Freeman of the Town of Lake Cowichan. He spent more than 30 years with the Lake Cowichan Volunteer Fire Dept., including 10 years as chief, and became a life member in the department. Tom also was a life/charter member of the Lake Cowichan Kinsmen Club and was a charter member of Coronation Lodge where he received his 60 year pin. He volunteered as an ambulance driver as a Kinsmen for 20 years and served as ambulance secretary-treasurer during this time.
Tom did not wish to have a service. The family will hold a gathering of remembrance at a later date. A donation in Tom’s name will be given to the Kaatza Historical Society in Lake Cowichan. The family would like to express its gratitude to the staff at Cairnsmore Place for the excellent quality of care Tom received there.