UPDATED: No injuries in Saturday evening house fire in Chemainus

Extensive damage to the upper floor will require a rebuild

Three people escaped uninjured from a home at 8745 Chemainus Rd. after fire broke out Saturday night.

Chemainus Fire Department chief Al Irwin said the call came in at about 6:20 p.m. Chemainus sent four trucks while three from the Crofton Fire Department and the South End Department’s aerial truck, to reach the top floor of the building, also attended.

When firefighters arrived, “there was flames coming out of the roof and the back door,” said Irwin.

The aerial truck was used “just to get up on the roof,” he indicated, so firefighters didn’t have to climb up there on their own.

Irwin added the flames were extinguished “fairly quickly and then just ensuring it was out, that was the biggest thing. Overall, it went pretty well.”

Firefighters were on scene for about three hours and waited for security personnel to arrive to secure the building before departing.

Irwin noted the fire started in an upper floor kitchen of the two-storey house, but will take some time to determine the exact cause. The top floor is the main living space in the house.

He said there was a significant amount of damage. “It’ll be a rebuild of some sort.”

Meanwhile, Irwin noted the Chemainus department has received 21 calls since the start of 2018.

“We’ve been really busy,” he said.

Irwin added few of the calls have been for chimney fires which is a good sign at this time of the year that people are keeping them clean.

 

Just Posted

Robert Barron column: Goodbye to the best man I’ve ever known

Mondays were special because my dad was off on those days

VIDEO: Young QMS cast shines in ‘Giants in the Sky’ musical

Kids find that sometimes being brave is good, but you still need supportive friends

Andrea Rondeau column: The internet has changed how we cover breaking news

If there’s ever anything you think we’ve missed, please feel free to contact us and let us know.

Sarah Simpson column: My history with bees

My dad is allergic to bees.

Strong showing for host school at Shawnigan Regatta

Shawnigan second in overall aggregate, tops U17 girls standings

Trans Mountain pipeline: How we got here

A look at the Kinder Morgan expansion, decades in the making

WestJet pilot strike averted as parties agree to mediation

Pilots had warned they could go on strike starting May 19

Out of control wildfire prompts restriction around Allie Lake

One of the first large wildfires of the 2018 season is blazing out of control

Passersby help rescue occupants of home as fire breaks out in Courtenay

Coffee run turns into fire rescue for pair of men

Giant beer tanks arrive in new B.C. home city

Molson Coors tanks finish river journey and move to overland trip in Chilliwack

VIDEO: Pipeline supporters rally across B.C.

Langley event one of five held in B.C.

VIDEO: B.C. woman praises burn fund after boat explosion in 1978

White Rock woman was 16 years old when she was left with second- and third-degree burns

Most Read