Dover Bay Secondary School was on lockdown and Nanaimo RCMP are on scene, with weapons out, earlier this morning. (NEWS BULLETIN file photo)

UPDATE: Lockdown lifted at Nanaimo schools after threat

Police presence remains at Dover Bay, Nanaimo District Secondary School and McGirr Elementary

UPDATE: The lockdown has been lifted at a Nanaimo high school after a threat was made earlier today. Nanaimo RCMP noted in a social media post that there will be a police presence at Dover Bay and Nanaimo District secondaries and McGirr Elementary School for the remainder of the day as a precaution. Read more at this link.

PREVIOUSLY POSTED: Three Nanaimo schools are in lockdown after a threat was made to Dover Bay Secondary School today.

Initially, Dover was put in lockdown, while McGirr Elementary was in a hold-and-secure, but Nanaimo District Secondary School was later placed in hold-and-secure, with all three now in lockdown, out of an abundance of caution, Nanaimo RCMP said in a social media post.

Dale Burgos, Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools’ spokesperson, told the News Bulletin he couldn’t get into specifics about the situation.

“A threat was made to the school,” Burgos said. “Police are investigating. The school is in lockdown. That’s not something typical. Lockdown is a more serious emergency procedure. Kids are inside and as a precaution, McGirr is in a hold-and-secure and again doors are locked, nobody in or out.”

According to Burgos, a lockdown is a situation when there is a threat in the immediate vicinity of the school, whether it’s outside the school or inside and a hold-and-secure is more to do with when something is happening near the school, where there is police presence.

In a social media post, Nanaimo RCMP are asking parents and caregivers to avoid the area and not call the schools for updates or information. Updates will be made when more information is available.

Nanaimo RCMP did not immediately respond to a request for further comment.

More to come.

YESTERDAY’S MOST-READ: Naked, bloody man drowns on Vancouver Island



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

North Cowichan denies Motorsport Circuit request for development permit

Rezoning issue goes back to second public hearing on Dec. 9

Editorial: Slow down from holiday rush to enjoy season

First, you have to be realistic and admit to yourself that you can’t do everything.

North Cowichan taxpayers could face a one-time 133% increase in ‘worst case’ VIMC lawsuit

An average home could see a tax increase of $2,164 in one year

LAKE FLASHBACK: Remember swine flu? Bosnian conflict? Moving St. Christopher’s? It’s been a while

From worldwide stories to those close to home, we’ve a real cross-section this week

Duncan Christmas Kick-Off a hit

The City of Duncan lit up for the season with their annual… Continue reading

BC Hydro reservoirs see record low rain across Vancouver Island

Hydro electric watersheds are at a third of their normal levels

VIDEO: John Lennon’s iconic Rolls Royce rolls into Vancouver Island college for checkup

Royal BC Museum, Camosun College and Coachwerks Restorations come together to care for car

VIDEO: Rockslide closes part of Highway 93 in Fairmont Hot Springs

Geotechnical team called in to do an assessment after rocks fell from hoodoos

Petition calls for appeal of ex-Burns Lake mayor’s sentence for sex assault

Prosecution service says Luke Strimbold’s case is under review

Northwest B.C. wildlife shelter rescues particularly tiny bear cub

Shelter co-founder says the cub weighs less than a third of what it should at this time of year

BC firefighters to help battle Australian bushfires

Canada sent 22 people, including 7 from B.C.

B.C. NDP touts the end of MSP premiums

Horgan, James held news conference to reiterate that people will get their last bill this month

Oscar Hickes: Longest running hockey tournament on Vancouver Island cancelled

Patrick Murray, one of the organizers for the tournament, broke the sad news on social media.

Most Read