A Montreal Police badge is shown during a news conference in Montreal, Monday, October 7, 2019. Quebec’s human rights commission says Montreal police must definitively end the practice of routine street checks. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

A Montreal Police badge is shown during a news conference in Montreal, Monday, October 7, 2019. Quebec’s human rights commission says Montreal police must definitively end the practice of routine street checks. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

New allegations from across Canada in case of former cop/coach charged with sex crimes

Police have received 27 calls thus far from Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and the United States

Sixteen potential new alleged victims have spoken to Longueuil police in connection with a former Montreal police officer and minor hockey coach accused of committing sex crimes over a 25-year period.

Francois Lamarre, also known as Frank, faces charges of gross indecency, indecent exposure, sexual assault, sexual touching and invitation to sexual touching involving four alleged victims in the Montreal suburb of Greenfield Park.

The 71-year-old is expected to appear at the Longueuil courthouse later this week on charges involving four initial complainants, who were boys between the ages of nine and 16 at the time of the alleged offences.

Longueuil police said Monday they’ve received 27 calls thus far from Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia and the United States since announcing Lamarre’s arrest on Dec. 4.

“The investigators have identified 16 potential victims from those calls and the others are witnesses or want to report what they know,” Sgt. Patrick Barriere said. “We know it takes a lot of courage to speak out about those types of events.”

Barriere said no new charges are expected for the time being, but investigators will meet with everyone who has contacted them. They are also encouraging anyone else with information to get in touch.

The crimes are alleged to have been committed between 1972 and 1997 at Lamarre’s home, in his car and at arenas.

Some of the alleged victims were youth involved in hockey, while others lived in Lamarre’s neighbourhood.

Lamarre, who retired from the Montreal police force in 1994, was a hockey coach in Greenfield Park from 1970 to 1980. The former town is now a part of the City of Longueuil.

Released under conditions, Lamarre is forbidden from contacting the complainants and from being in the presence of minors or near parks, schools or community centres.

He could not be reached for comment Monday.

Wade Wilson, a municipal councillor representing Greenfield Park, came forward earlier this month in a statement provided by the borough as one of Lamarre’s alleged victims.

He said Monday he believes there might be as many as 100 potential victims.

Barriere said investigators do believe there are other people out there who are victims or were witnesses.

“The four big heroes of this story are the ones who initiated it,” Wilson said of the initial victims. “They came out and they’ve been pursuing this for a while — especially an individual in Ontario.”

When the story broke, Wilson said it was the least he could do to come forward and provide assistance to others.

He said he has personal regrets about not coming forward sooner, but given Lamarre’s police credentials and his standing the community, it felt impossible.

“The least I could do is come forward and advise people that it’s okay…. Speak to somebody, don’t hold it inside for ever,” Wilson said. “It’s a terrible, dark secret to keep for such a long time, and it has to be addressed and you have to move forward with it at some point.”

No charges have been laid related to Wilson’s complaint, which was filed Wednesday.

ALSO READ: National sports organizations have to report allegations of abuse immediately

Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

No face-offs until at least Dec. 8 after the BCHL shuts down pre-sesason play. (Citizen file)
Cowichan Capitals’ exhibition season cut short

BCHL cancels remainder of the pre-season

Gracie couldn’t stop nursing from her previous owner’s goats which was problematic given the goats were trying to be dried out to breed. Gracie now lives at A Home for Hooves. (Sarah Simpson/Citizen)
Cowichan animal sanctuary gets international accreditation

A Home for Hooves farm sanctuary accredited by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries

The field at Sherman Road is closed to travelling teams after soccer is shut down due to COVID-19. (Sarah Simpson/Citizen)
Soccer in Cowichan put on hold due to COVID-19

“We have a temporary clarification that we can’t travel to other communities”

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry update the COVID-19 situation at the B.C. legislature, Nov. 23, 2020. (B.C. government)
B.C. sets another COVID-19 record with 887 new cases

Another 13 deaths, ties the highest three days ago

Police in Nanaimo are looking for a suspect who wore a black-and-white striped hoodie and rode a yellow mountain bike when he allegedly stole three children’s backpacks from a daycare facility. (Photo submitted)
VIDEO: Thief steals children’s backpacks from daycare in Nanaimo

Suspect rode a yellow mountain bike and made off with backpacks hanging on fence

Arthur Topham has been sentenced to one month of house arrest and three years of probation after breaching the terms of his probation. Topham was convicted of promoting hate against Jewish people in 2015. (Photo submitted)
Quesnel man convicted for anti-Semitic website sentenced to house arrest for probation breach

Arthur Topham was convicted of breaching probation following his 2017 sentence for promoting hatred

Langley School District's board office. (Langley Advance Times files)
‘Sick Out’ aims to pressure B.C. schools over masks, class sizes

Parents from Langley and Surrey are worried about COVID safety in classrooms

The Klahoose First Nation village on Cortes Island is under lockdown until further notice due to a positive COVID-19 test. Photo courtesy Kevin Peacey.
Cortes Island First Nation community locked down due to positive COVID-19 test

Klahoose First Nation has had one positive test, one other potential case

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Ladysmith’s 1st Avenue will be lit up until January 15. (Cole Schisler photo)
Light Up parade a no-go, but Ladysmith’s streets are still all aglow

Although the tradition Light Up this year was cancelled, folks can still enjoy the holiday lights

The baby boy born to Gillian and Dave McIntosh of Abbotsford was released from hospital on Wednesday (Nov. 25) while Gillian continues to fight for her life after being diagnosed with COVID-19.
B.C. mom with COVID-19 still fighting for life while newborn baby now at home

Son was delivered Nov. 10 while Gillian McIntosh was in an induced coma

North Island-Powell River MP Rachel Blaney has spoken out about some veterans losing their Dimished Earning Capacity income. (Mike Davies/Campbell River Mirror photo)
Blaney pens letter to minister about veteran supports

Concerned about veterans losing some income

Most Read