Cowichan Tribes Chief William Seymour said a First Nation man died at The Mound, one of five temporary tenting sites for the homeless set up in the Cowichan Valley, on June 26. (File photo)

Man dies at temporary Duncan tent site for homeless

First Nations man died at The Mound site

There has been another death at one of the temporary tenting areas for the homeless set up in the Cowichan Valley.

A statement from Cowichan Tribes Chief William Seymour said a band member died on June 26 at the tenting site on Government Street known as The Mound, which is owned by the Cowichan Tribes.

Seymour didn’t identify the man, or say how he died, in his statement.

“He felt safe here [at the tent site], instead of on the streets,” Seymour said.

“He was looking forward to moving into a hotel or home. He was always respectful and tried to visit his family as much as he could, especially his father. He always acknowledged people, he was very helpful, and always had a smile on his face. I send my condolences to the families in sorrow.”

The Mound is one of five temporary tent sites established in May to allow those that are homeless or precariously housed in the Valley to shelter-in-place with the appropriate food and other services during the COVID-19 crisis.

RELATED STORY: SHORT-TERM PLAN IN PLACE FOR COWICHAN VALLEY’S HOMELESS DURING COVID-19 CRISIS

Chris Macdonald, 43, died in his tent at the tent site at Fuller Lake Park last month.

RELATED STORY: MAN FOUND DEAD IN HIS TENT AT CHEMAINUS HOMELESS CAMP

Duncan Mayor Michelle Staples, who is a member of the COVID-19 Task Force for Vulnerable Populations, said the deaths at the tent sites are “horrible”, but acknowledged that deaths are not unusual among the homeless community.

“Before we established the tent sites, there were a number of deaths among the homeless in the community, but at least we know where they are now and the tent sites allow us the opportunity to work with these people to try to make a difference in their lives and give them some stability,” she said.

“Overall, things are going well at the tent sites and we’re having a lot of successes with the people there. We’re also getting a lot of positive feedback from the community in general.”

BC Housing and Emergency Management BC provided the funding to establish the COVID-19 Task Force for Vulnerable Populations in May with a mandate to develop short-term plans to provide housing and support for Cowichan Valley’s homeless during the health crisis.

The task force, which the City of Duncan was asked to organize, includes representatives from service organizations, Island Health, local governments, First Nations, school district, health care professionals, community members, and peer representatives.

RELATED STORY: COVID-19 COWICHAN HOMELESS PLAN GETS FINANCIAL BACKING

The task force was given enough funding to cover the costs of the tent sites until June 30, but Staples said that funding has been extended for two more weeks.

“We’re trying to work out what is possible,” she said.

“We have 107 people at the five sites and we’re concerned about what will happen to them if we put them back on the streets. We’re also still likely just at the beginning of this pandemic so the need for these sites is still there.”

After years of advocacy from the Valley’s local governments and other agencies, construction is expected to begin this fall on approximately 100 supportive housing units for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness in the Cowichan Valley.

BC Housing has acquired two sites — 2983 Drinkwater Rd. in North Cowichan and 260 White Rd. in Duncan — to develop what the agency describes as “safe, secure housing with wraparound supports”.



robert.barron@cowichanvalleycitizen.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

UPDATE: RCMP use spike belts to end car chase — man in custody

The driver was arrested at the scene a short distance from his vehicle

Motorcyclist airlifted after collision in Cobble Hill

Residents describe intersection of Telegraph and Hutchinson as “dangerous” and “problematic”

Tent Island closed due to neglect and abuse from campers

Illegal campfires common on Penelakut Tribe reserve land

Denise Holt wins Cowichan Lake Idol 2020

Competition goes online this year due to COVID-19

371 British Columbians battling COVID-19, health officials confirm

Thursday (Aug. 6) saw a second straight day of nearly 50 new confirmed cases

COVID-19 tests come back negative for remote First Nation

“There are no suspected cases in the community at this time.”

Visitors and non-residents entering closed remote B.C. First Nation’s territories

With limited resources, they say they don’t have any authority or power to enforce the closures

UBC loses appeal on Fisheries Act convictions

BC Supreme Court upholds order to pay $1.55-million fine

Masks to be mandatory on BC Transit, TransLink starting Aug. 24

Both BC Transit and TransLink made the announcement in separate press releases on Thursday

Acclaimed B.C. actor Brent Carver passes away

Carver, one of Canada’s greatest actors with a career spanning 40 years, passed away at home in Cranbrook

B.C. would not send students back to school if there was ‘overwhelming risk’: Horgan

Plan has left many parents across the province worried about their children’s safety

Canucks blank Wild 3-0, take series lead in penalty-filled NHL qualifying clash

Jacob Markstrom stops 27 shots to lead Vancouver past Minnesota

Most Read