Judicial review is underway of North Cowichan’s decision to deny a development permit to the VIMC. (File photo)

Judicial review of North Cowichan’s decision on Motorsport expansion underway

Municipality denied Motorsport Circuit a development permit last year

A judicial review of the Municipality of North Cowichan’s decision last year to deny the Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit a development permit to expand its facility on Highway 18 is underway.

The judicial review is being held in a Vancouver courtroom over two days, Sept. 9-10, in which both sides will present their cases, with the court expected to release its decision sometime after that.

North Cowichan Mayor Al Siebring and CAO Ted Swabey are attending the judicial review.

The court will decide if the municipality followed proper procedures in denying the development application.

If the court decides in favour of the VIMC, the implications could be financially dire for North Cowichan.

In a report to council written last December, Swabey said if the VIMC sues, which it has indicated it would if the judicial review goes its way, the municipality could face a liability of up to $60 million in a worst-case scenario.

RELATED STORY: RESIDENTS OF NORTH COWICHAN COULD FACE 133% TAX HIKE IN ‘WORST CASE’ LAWSUIT OUTCOME: REPORT

After two well-attended public hearings on VIMC’s expansion proposal held last November and December, North Cowichan’s council decided twice to deny the rezoning application due to community concerns about noise, environmental impacts, and First Nations objections.

The liability North Cowichan could face was spelled out in correspondence the municipality received from the VIMC’s lawyers, Hutchison Oss-Cech Marlatt Barristers & Solicitors, soon after the rezoning application was rejected.

It stated that when the VIMC bought the property from the municipality in 2016, it was based on the written assurances from North Cowichan, without any disclaimers, that the zoning for the intended uses “was appropriate”, and, based on that assurance, the VIMC invested over $37 million to construct phase one of the facility and was fully intending and expecting to build phase two on adjacent lands.

RELATED STORY: VIMC SAYS NORTH COWICHAN BACKED OUT OF ‘ASSURANCES’

The letter said the VIMC will “pursue all legal remedies available”.

“In the circumstances, having invested so much time and money in reliance on the municipality’s assurances and conduct to date, it will be left with no other choice,” the letter concluded.



robert.barron@cowichanvalleycitizen.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

development

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Tour de Rock pedals through the Cowichan Valley

Cops for Cancer fundraiser visits local schools

Kerry Park Islanders open regular season this weekend

Intersquad game boosted profile for some players

Crash snarls traffic in Duncan Tuesday evening

The crash appeared to involve at least three vehicles

Fire crews put out blaze in Cowichan Secondary outbuilding

Three halls respond to fire in storage structure

Who’s running in Cowichan?

A list of Cowichan candidates for the upcoming provincial election

B.C. counts 125 new COVID-19 cases, up to 1,284 active

No new deaths or health care facility outbreaks

Health Canada green-lights rapid COVID-19 test

Health Canada approved the BCube test from Hyris Ltd. in the United Kingdom Sept. 23

FINLAYSON: COVID-related job losses concentrated in urban areas… especially Metro Vancouver

The biggest job losses, in absolute terms, have been in Metro Vancouver

6 puppies rescued in mass seizure on Princeton farm die from illness: BC SPCA

Of the 97 distressed horses, cats and dogs seized, most of the puppies suffered from parvo

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Action demanded over death of First Nations youth in Abbotsford group home

Family and Indigenous organizations push for thorough investigation

U.S. boater fined $1,000 for violation of Quarantine Act

49-year-old man entered Canada to visit girlfriend in Surrey

More sex abuse charges laid against B.C. man who went by ‘Doctor Ray Gaglardi’

Investigators now focussing efforts on alleged victims within the Glad Tidings Church community

B.C. VOTES 2020: Businesses now owe $6 billion in deferred tax payments

COVID-19 relief from remittance to province ends with September

Most Read