Nicholas Des Charlie, who was found guilty of aggravated sexual assault last year, is appealing his conviction. (File photo)

Nicholas Des Charlie, who was found guilty of aggravated sexual assault last year, is appealing his conviction. (File photo)

Duncan man appeals aggravated sexual assault conviction

Nicholas Des Charlie goes to court on Oct. 29

RELATED: Duncan man has sexual assault conviction overturned

A Duncan man found guilty last year of aggravated sexual assault after an incident in a Valley home in 2016 that was so violent that the victim required surgery, is appealing his conviction.

Nicholas Des Charlie is scheduled to appear before the BC Court of Appeal in Vancouver at 10 a.m. on Oct. 29.

Charlie and Abraham Charles Percy Louie were found guilty of the charges and sentenced to seven years in prison following a trial at the Duncan courthouse that concluded in February, 2018.

RELATED STORY: DUNCAN COUSINS FOUND GUILTY OF AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT

Louie has also filed an appeal, but no court date has been set.

The assault took place in a residence on Whut’stun Road where a group of people were having a drinking party in one of the rooms.

After consuming a significant amount of alcohol and passing out for a while, the victim, whose identity is protected, woke to find herself alone with Charlie and Louie, who are cousins, and tried to leave the room, but was restrained by Louie and sexually assaulted by the cousins.

Her sister found her there in the morning partially clothed and injured.

She also had bruises all over her face, head, arms and legs.

Both Louie and Charlie were found sleeping in the room where the assault occurred.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Colwood resident, Geoffrey Irwin, has been missing since Sep. 27. His vehicle was found in Vancouver on Nov. 25. (Courtesy of West Shore RCMP)
Police search for former Caps player last seen in September

Geoff Irwin’s vehicle was found in Vancouver Nov. 25

Cowichan Tribes’ artist Darrell Thorne (left) and Phil Kent, chairman of the Island Corridor Foundation, hold Thorne’s first-place winning design in the ICF’s First Nations artist competition. (Robert Barron/Citizen)
Cowichan Tribes’ Darrell Thorne wins ICF art competition

Artists designed perspectives on passenger trains of the future

Shopping locally for the holidays has never been so important. (Submitted)
Editorial: Buying local for holidays never so important

It’s an important thing to consider when you go to do both your in person and online shopping

Duncan Mayor Michelle Staples encourages groups and organizations in the city to take advantage of Duncan’s DOVID-19 grants program. (File photo)
Still lots of money left in Duncan’s COVID-19 grant program

Council has approved just three applications so far

Ultra runner Jerry Hughes circles the track at the Cowichan Sportsplex as he nears the end of his six-day Canadian record attempt and fundraiser in November. (Kevin Rothbauer/Citizen)
Six days on the Cowichan Sportsplex track for ultramarathoner

Record bid misses, but fundraiser a success

(Needpix.com)
Pandemic has ‘exacerbated’ concerns for B.C. children and youth with special needs: report

Pandemic worsened an already patchwork system, representative says

Janet Austin, the lieutenant-governor of British Columbia, not seen, swears in Premier John Horgan during a virtual swearing in ceremony in Victoria, Thursday, Nov. 26, 2020. Horgan says he will look to fill gaps in the federal government’s sick-pay benefits program aimed at preventing the spread of COVID-19. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C. premier says province prepared to patch holes in new federal sick-pay benefits

Horgan said workers should not be denied pay when they are preventing COVID-19’s spread

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C.’s coronavirus situation at the legislature, Nov. 30, 2020. (B.C. government)
Hockey team brought COVID-19 back from Alberta, B.C. doctor says

Dr. Bonnie Henry pleads for out-of-province travel to stop

Victoria’s Royal Jubilee Hospital took in two COVID-19 patients from Northern Health as part of a provincial agreement. (Black Press Media file photo)
Victoria hospital takes in two COVID-19 patients from Northern Health

Royal Jubilee Hospital takes patients as part of provincial transport network

B.C. Premier John Horgan on a conference call with religious leaders from his B.C. legislature office, Nov. 18, 2020, informing them in-person church services are off until further notice. (B.C. government)
B.C. tourism relief coming soon, Premier John Horgan says

Industry leaders to report on their urgent needs next week

Most Read